MOT Training: A Guide Part 1

Are you interested in a career in the automotive industry? Becoming a nominated tester (NT) will mean you are qualified to carry out MOT tests on a variety of cars and vehicles.

A range of training is necessary to gain your MOT license. Eligibility criteria set by the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) will firstly need to be adhered to, and you must also pass a Level 3 pre-entry qualification. Next, you must pass the Award in MOT testing and finally, pass a VT8 demo MOT test of which is observed by the DVSA.

You will then be a qualified MOT tester, but you will also have to complete annual training and pass an annual assessment to maintain your nominated tester status.

Are you eligible according to the DVSA criteria?

To become a nominated MOT tester, you must abide to criteria set out by the DVSA. This includes:

  • Holding a current, full UK driving license for the vehicle classes you want to be able to test
  • Having a minimum of four years’ experience in the service and repair industry for the vehicle types you want to be able to test
  • Having no unspent convictions including criminal offences connected with the MOT testing scheme and motor trade, violent acts and intimidation
  • Be of ‘good repute’. This will be decided by the DVSA to ensure you are suited to a MOT testing role.
  • Light Vehicle Diagnostic Technician
  • Light Vehicle Inspection Technician
  • Vehicle Mechanical and Electronic Systems, Maintenance and Repair (Level 3)
  • Vehicle Technician, Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (Level 3)
  • Automotive Qualification, NVQ Level 3
  • Repair and Servicing of Road Vehicles
  • Motor Vehicle Craft Studies
  • Light or Heavy Vehicle Mechanics Craft Studies
  • Motor Vehicle Technician’s Certificate
  • The Institute of Motor Industry, IMI Level National Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
  • National Craft Certification with a specialism of Vehicle Maintenance and Electronic Systems
  • BTEC or ONC in Motor Vehicle Engineering studies
  • Scottish Vocational Educational Council National Certificate in Vehicle Mechanics and Systems

What pre-entry qualifications do I need?

The first thing you will need to become a MOT tester for Class 3, 4, 5, and 7 vehicles is an accepted Level 3 pre-entry qualification. The accepted pre-entry qualifications and accreditations consist of:

Automotive Technician Accreditation in:

A valid ATA ID card will also be needed.

A VRQ, NVQ or SVQ in:

A City and Guilds qualification in:

Or any of the following:

MOT testers are in high demand and obtaining a qualification to become a nominated tester can increase your skill base and benefit your career. To find out more information about how you can become a nominated MOT tester, we can help. We offer MOT training for new testers as well as annual CPD assessments.

For more information, you can contact the S&B team by visiting our contact page or by giving us a call on 0117 953 3001.